.


Saturday, February 15, 2014

Do something that scares the shit out of you at least once a day!

February 8th 2014 at 6:13pm: The past couple of days we have had a snow/ice storm in Oregon. Today the power was out and was bored, cranky, and sad. I chose to ask myself a question:

"If I were truly being me, without the conclusions and definitions of me that others chose for me that I bought, what would a I choose?" 

At first nothing came up until I put my big winter boots on and off the porch I went. Then I saw the tree that’s in the yard next to the house. Its lined in ICE! How cool is that?  I have never seen something so pretty! I went "I'm gonna go touch that tree!" and started over there when I noticed there was a 2" thick sheet of ice over the snow on the ground. I heard my Grandmas voice in my head

"Don't go over there! You will slip and fall and get hurt!!!"

I sadly turned back "True, the ice is very slippery and scary, I should turn back now."

I was scared to go across the ice to get to the tree. I started back when I stopped and remembered some famous person I don't remember once said

"Do something that scares the shit out of you at least once a day." 

I looked at the tree again. In the past I always chose to turn back, this time I went...

"Screw this! I'm looking at it up close!" 

I went as I went about smashing through the ice with my feet. It scared the shit out of me the whole way. I heard my Grandma screaming "YOU WILL GET HURT!" and despite it I kept going.
I almost fell a few times but I kept going until I made it to one of the branches on the tree.
I took my gloves off and touched it. I looked back and saw my footprints in the snow and ice. I did it! I stood there are enjoyed the sight of this ice covered tree.

You are wrong Grandma, I CAN DO IT! 

I Can do anything. If I get hurt so what? How does it get any better than that? I started to laugh. How many (life)times have I avoided doing what I really desired to do just because the road there was slippery or scary? I made it to the ice covered tree today. They were wrong: I CAN do it!


How many (life)times have you avoided doing what you really desired to do just because the road there was slippery or scary?


If you were truly being you, without the conclusions and definitions of you that others chose for you that you bought, what would you choose?